Mijas


Mijas was a settlement belonging to the Turditania, established next to the fortification of the city wall, which still features in the municipal plans of the town. The fact that remains can be found to this day, although reduced to the odd battered door or a piece of rubble, tells us of the solidity of which it was constructed. Phoenicians and Greeks passed by here following the news of the riches and variety of the mines existing in this zone, whose metals, until recently, were sent to the cities of the East. In the second century B.C., it appears from Ptolemy's Geography -Ptolemy being a geographer and astrologer of the School of Alexandria-, that he travelled across these Costas, given the precise descriptions and locations of some places. The Romans called Mijas Tamisa, and maintained it as an important commercial centre, favoured because of the nearby construction of the Apian Way that united Málaga and Cádiz.


It was conquered by the Moslems after the taking of Málaga in the year 714. They allowed the inhabitants to keep their homes, their religion and customs, in exchange that they maintained their agricultural and livestock interests. During the reign of Omar Ben Hafsun, the moz-Mijeños maintained good relations with him, and many of them swelled his ranks in the fight against Bobastro. Later on, because Ben Hafsun needed to possess fortifications near to the sea, he took over the castles of Tolox, Comares and Mijas. They were conquered again and belonged to the independent kingdom of Omar until Abderramán the Third recaptured the area after Ben Hafsun died and the town was afterwards bequest to his sons. Meanwhile, the siege of Málaga hardened for the Catholic Kings, resisted the attacks of the battling conquerors. But when their defences were totally destroyed, and thinking that conditions of surrender were advantageous, they put down their arms. When the conquerors arrived in Málaga, they saw that they could enter without conditions, subject to the will and mercy of the kings. They first entered in the farmyard of the Alcazaba and, afterwards, the majority were given and sold by the kings as slaves to the nobility and other gentlemen that participated in the war. Two years after the conquest of Granada, the kings proceeded to distribute previously inherited houses and land between the faithful Christians and, moreover, designated the area that formed the jurisdiction of the town.


During the war between the communities, Mijas kept true to the Emperor. For this reason, Doña Juana signed on January 2nd 1521 a royal decree declaring the official boundaries and granting it the status of a town. An important historic event occurred on the December 2nd 1831 on the beach known as El Charcón. A general Torrijos debarked together with fifty two men. Crossing through Mijas, circling the mountains they went to seek refuge in a large house in La Alquería of Alhaurín de la Torre, property of the Countess of Mollina, less than four leagues from Málaga. Here, they were surrounded by the troops of the military governor, González Moreno, and were captured a few hours afterwards. Torrijos and his companions were shot on the beach of San Andrés on December 11th 1831.

 

 
Facebook
Twitter